To be eligible for the EMJD-DC programme applicants need to fulfil the admission requirements based on previous studies, English proficiency and documentation.
1. Previous studies: A completed Master’s degree
Applicants must have completed a higher education degree of computer science or areas related to distributed computing in the M.Sc. level of the European LMD system (300 ECTS credits), or equivalent academic qualifications from an internationally recognized university. Excellent grades from courses in distributed systems, operating systems, networking, programming languages, computer architectures, and theory of computing are expected.
Students in their final year of Master education may also apply and if qualified, receive a conditional offer. If the applicant has not completed her studies, she should include a written statement from the degree administration office (or equivalent department), confirming that she is enrolled on the final year of her education and stating the expected completion date. If the applicant receives a conditional offer, the candidate should present the degree certificate to the Admissions Office before enrolment.
2. Language requirements: Proof of English proficiency
Applicants must provide proof of their English language proficiency, which is most commonly established through an internationally recognized test.
A minimum overall mark of 6.5 is required, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic Training accepted). IELTS-tests are verified online by EMJD-DCadmissions office. Please upload a copy of the test together with the application.
English test results from TOEFL should be sent directly from the ETS test centre to KTH Admissions Office (institution code 7966, department code 99). Please upload a copy of the examinee score report together with the application. Please also note that neither TOEIC nor institutional TOEFL are accepted as sufficient proof of English proficiency.
The following TOEFL test scores are accepted as a minimum:
- Paper-based test: total result of 575 (written test, grade 4,5)
- Internet-based test: total result of 90 (written test, grade 20)
University of Cambridge / University of Oxford Certificates
- Certificate in Advanced English (minimum grade C).
- Certificate of Proficiency (minimum grade C).
- Diploma of English Studies (minimum grade C).
English proficiency tests are waived for the following:
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from a university where English is the only language of instruction, in accordance with the recommendations in the edition of the International Handbook of Universities that was current the year the degree was awarded.
- Applicants with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree entirely taught in English. It should be clearly stated in the transcripts or degree certificate that the language of instruction was English. Other documentation regarding language of instruction will not be accepted.
- In some cases English proficiency can be fulfilled from upper secondary education, e.g. a British GCE O-level (minimum grade C), a German Abitur with English as first foreign language “Grundstufe” (ausreichend at least 5/15) or Leistungsfach or French students who have taken English as LV 1 in Série L (littéraire) Langue Vivante or Série ES, Langue Vivante. Proof thereof must be enclosed in the application.
- Students with 30 higher education (HE) credits from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland where the language of instruction of the course is English. The language of instruction must be clearly stated on the official documents.
- Students with 30 higher education (HE) credits from Great Britain, Ireland, Malta, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, or English speaking parts of Canada. The language of instruction must be clearly stated on the official documents.
Required documents for EMJD-DC
Note that all applicants – regardless of prior applications – need to submit a complete application package consisting of the following documents before the application deadline.
- Personal profile details (collected by the web-based application, no additional document needed)
- A correctly certified copy of the Master’s degree in original language and translated into English. (Read also about conditional acceptance in case of ongoing studies).
- A correctly certified copy of the transcript of records in original language and translated into English. All courses taken must be included.
- Proof of English proficiency.
- A Curriculum vitae including details on the academic career of the applicant, contact details and photo (no specific format).
- A copy of the passport or some other kind of identification in English.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors of the most recently attended higher institution or from employers if relevant. Please include email addresses and, if possible, telephone numbers of the professors.
These two letters can be either uploaded by the applicant, or sent by the referee directly to the program coordinator (email@example.com). In addition all the referees included in an application will be emailed to collect feedback in a web application.
- Publication list and Patents in English if applicable.
- Your “Candidate Application form” (editable DOC, non-editable PDF).
All documents must be uploaded to the EMJD-DC admission web site as part of your application.
Copies of degree certificates, transcript of records and statements should be stamped and signed by the degree administration’s office of the issuing institution, or by a Notary Public. The documents must be both in original language and in officially certified translations into English. Applications that are not supported by officially certified documents will not be processed. Applications with fraudulent documents will invariably be rejected.
In the application phase we only need PDF documents, no paper is needed. For students selected for a scholarship, the original paper documents will be required as part of the enrolment process.